- 2 tbps vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbps tomato paste
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes
- 3 tbps chili powder
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- large flour torillas
1. In large saucepan, heat 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat; cook chicken, breaking up with fork, for about 8 minutes until no longer pink. Drain off fat. Transfer chicken to bowl and set aside.
2. In same saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, oregano and salt for about 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minutes.
3. Return chicken to pan. Add tomatoes and chili powder; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes or until thickened.
4. Spoon chili onto centre of each tortilla; sprinkle with cheese. Fold top and bottom edge over filling; fold sides over like envelope. Place seam side down on greased baking sheet. Broil burritos about 6 inches from heat until crisp and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
This recipe also works with lean ground beef