- 4 green onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup packed fresh basic leaves
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbps wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sweet smoked or normal paprika
- ½ tsp hot pepper flakes
- 3 ½ lbs chicken thighs, wings, drumsticks and breasts
I prepared this using full thighs with drumsticks attached. I find chicken breasts are not as tasty or as moist as some of the other cuts for dishes like these.
If you don't have one already, go get a silicone brush for use on the barbecue. They don't melt or burn and shrivel like a plastic or hair type brush does.
1. In food processor and scraping down side a few times, whirl together green onions, garlic, jalapeño peppers, basil, oil, vinegar, salt, paprika and hot pepper flakes until loose paste forms. Scrape into large bowl.
2. Trim any visible fat or loose skin from chicken. If desired, cut breasts on diagonal into 2 pieces. Add chicken to basil paste and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator, turning occasionally, for at least 6 or for up to 12 hours.
3. Heat 1 burner of a 2-burner barbecue, or 2 outside burners of a 3-burner barbecue to medium. Brush grill over unlit burner with oil. Place chicken, bone side down, on greased grill. Close lid and grill until bottom is marked, about 25 minutes. Using rigid lifter, turn and grill until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 20 minutes. Using lifter, move any pieces that need more crisping or colouring over direct medium heat. Close lid and grill until golden brown, about 5 minutes.