- 2 tbps coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ to ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tbps minced garlic
- 3 tbps minced fresh ginger
- 1 ½ lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, (21 to 25 per lb)
- 2 tbps canola or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- 2 tbps fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- fresh ground pepper
1. Heat a small heavy saute pan over med-high heat until hot. Add coriander, cumin and red pepper flakes and cook, shaking the pan constantly, until the spices are very fragrant - 30 to 60 seconds. Let cool, then grind to a fine powder.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the coconut milk, garlic, ginger, shrimp and spice powder and marinate in the fridge for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes.
3. In a 12-inch skillet, heat oil over med-high heat. Add the shrimp and the marinade and cook, stirring and shaking the pan, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through - 3 to 5 minutes, adding 1 tbsp water at a time if necessary to keep the marinade from scorching. Remove from the heat and add the cilantro or basil and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with lime wedges.