- 2 lbs large peeled raw shrimp (or thawed and completely dried)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 bunches watercress, (or 1 each of watercress and arugula)
- 1 cup packed fresh coriander sprigs
- 2 sweet red pepper, cut in thin strips
- 2 large ripe mangoes, peeled and cut in thin strips
- Shrimp Marinade:
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- ⅔ cup 2% plain yogurt
- 2 tbps minced gingerroot
- 1 tbps minced garlic
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 grated lime rind
- ½ cup mango chutney
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tbps vegetable oil
- dash hot pepper sauce
1. Shrimp Marinate: In a small nonstick skillet, dry-roast cumin, coriander and paprika over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes or until darkened slightly and fragrant. Let cool.
2. In large bowl, stir together yogurt, ginger, garlic, jalapeno peppers, lime rind, roasted spices and salt and pepper to taste. Add shrimp; mix to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or for up to 24 hours.
3. Dressing: In food processor, puree chutney. Add lime juice, oil and hot pepper sauce; process to mix. Set aside.
4. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook shrimp and marinade, turning once, for 3 to 4 minutes or until pink and opaque.
5. In large bowl, toss together watercress (and arugula if chosen), coriander, red peppers, mangoes, shrimp and dressing. Arrange on individual salad plates.
6. Makes 12 sides or 6 main course servings.
7. Make ahead: Through step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.