- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 19 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 28 ounces tomatoes, diced
- ⅓ cup corn kernels
- 1 cup baked tortilla chips, crumbled
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
1. In large nonstick overproof skillet (I used a well seasoned Iron skillet), sauté beef over medium-high head, breaking up with spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain off excess fat.
2. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño pepper, green pepper, cumin, salt, pepper and oregano; cook over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add black beans, tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in corn.
3. Sprinkle with tortilla chips and Cheddar cheese; bake in 375F (190C) oven until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with onion.